Healtchare & Nutrition Forum for your puppy's health

Accepting the Crate

January 12, 2018, 2:37 AM

We got our 10 week old westie puppy this week. I noticed that he still pees or poos when let out of the palace when we get home. Is this normal and will he adjust to going in the palace? I live in an apartment and he isnt finish with vaccinations so dont want him outside yet.  Should I have other areas outside the palace set up to potty indoors or will it confuse him. Do you recommend using and xpen with the crate now or wait a bit until he is fully trained in the palace. I am a new dog owner and having much anxiety although I know its just day 4...but feel I need to restart. He also cries and whines at first when we put in in...which I can handle. I want to teach him calm crate behavior. Should I give treats when he is calm in the crate?
Thanks,
Natasha Clinton-Starks
Category: Training Tips

Answer:

The goal is for him to accept his crate and actually learn to like it.  It needs to be in a separate area and you should use a cover.  The reward for being calm is letting him out but only when you are ready.  He needs to learn what your routine is and accept it.