Healtchare & Nutrition Forum for your puppy's health

First Vet Visit

September 30, 2015, 8:31 AM

We are taking our 8 week old Havanese for the first time to the vet.   They recommended bringing in a fecal sample for deworming purposes. She also mentioned puppies come for visits every 3-4 weeks. This is a family owned office. I just wanted to ensure this sounds accurate and is the appropriate schedule. I was warned to be skeptical of additional vaccinations as she is currently up to date and that some vets add additional unnecessary testing.
Category: Preventive Care

Answer:

Taking a fresh stool sample is a good idea, I would like all new puppies to have fecal testing.  Followup visits each 3 weeks is a good idea to monitor your puppies overall health.  There are vaccinations that should be repeated and there are some that might be recommended for your pets lifestyle and location that might not be necessary in a different situation.  Take a look at the Doctorpup videos on "First vet visit" as well as vaccination.  I would be happy to give you a second opinion on suggested vaccinations, ask you vet to provide their recommendations for each of the recommended visits.