Healtchare & Nutrition Forum for your puppy's health

Measuring food

November 5, 2018, 11:31 PM

I have a teacup Pomeranian. She was born on August 1st of 2018. I have been free feeding her since then, the vet told me that I should be careful with the calorie intake and told me that I should give 1/8-1/4 cup 3-4 times a day. I am not quite sure the amount I should feed her daily. How much should I give her per day? Please, send me the amount in grams.
Category: Nutrition

Answer:

First,  it would be difficult to attempt to answer your question as  to the measured amount without knowing her weight.  Second, I do not feel it necessary to measure food for a growing puppy.  Here is some info that should help:
There are a few guidelines of  adequate consumption that are just as important as the actual volume of food eaten.  During the transition to a new home it is extremely important that your puppy eats frequently, you should offer food at least each 1-2 hours during the day and each 4 hours overnight.  Allow your puppy to eat whatever it wants in about 5 minutes or so.  Keep in mind your puppy's appetite will vary during the day, and day to day,  just like us.  Leaving dry food available as nibble food is a good idea unless you have other pets that might take advantage too often.
 Once you are confident your puppy is eating regularly you can begin reduce the number of feedings.  By the end of the second week shoot for about 4 feedings per day.  
Your puppy's attitude will generally tell you if he is eating enough: if he eats regularly, eliminates normally, plays energetically for a while and then sleeps things can't be too bad.  If you feel there are changes to this pattern let me know as it could be a signal that something is up.  A decrease in consumption coupled with a decrease in activity spells trouble.