Healtchare & Nutrition Forum for your puppy's health

Puppy Sundaes

October 22, 2014, 12:32 PM

Hi Doctor.. I have a Question .. I ordered these Doggie Sundaes for a treat for Delylah 2 and Lily 9 weeks .. Is this ok to give the little one?? and what about calories are they fattening ? Thank you Valarie 
here is the ingredients..
 WATER, SOY FLOUR, ANIMAL FAT PRESERVED WITH TOCOPHEROLS (A SOURCE OF VITAMIN E), DEXTROSE, VARIEGATE ((CORN SYRUP, MALTODEXTRIN, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, CARAMEL COLOR, NATURAL FLAVOR, (HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE), POTASSIUM SORBATE, CITRIC ACID)), DRIED WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, MONO & DIGLYCERIDES, GUAR GUM, LOCUST BEAN GUM, CARRAGEENAN, VITAMIN A ACETATE, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, ASCORBIC ACID, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, FOLIC ACID, NIACIN SUPPLEMENT, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, SORBITAN ESTERS OF FATTY ACIDS, SODIUM SILICO ALUMINATE. CONTAINS SOY AND MILK DERIVITIVES THIS PRODUCT IS PROCESSED IN A PLANT THAT MANUFACTURES PRODUCTS WITH PEANUTS/NUTS.
Category: Nutrition

Answer:

The ingredient list you sent is typical of most 'snacks or treats" whethter for people or pets.  In all reality nutritionally they don't have much to offer, they tend to have lots of preservatives and many are high in sodoium....kinda like Pringles, Doritos etc.  If given within reason as to quantity they don't pose a big threat.  The biggest probem with treats is they tend to be overused and that is a bigger threat than the nutritional content.  I like freeze dried liver cubes since the processing is minimal, sodium is low and most pets love 'em.