Healtchare & Nutrition Forum for your puppy's health

Walnut in stomach for 5 months

October 18, 2020, 4:23 PM

Hello. My 1 1/2 year old puppy just recently threw up a black walnut shell (which I read could be toxic), We have not been around a black walnut tree for the last five months so I know it has been in her stomach since we moved.  She has been really, really picky with her food and I have noticed a change in her appetite the last five months as well. She does not even want to eat her favorite treats. She twitches a lot when she is sleeping, too. Even though the walnut shell is out of her stomach now, could she have toxicity? If so, what do I do for her? Her appetite is still not the best and she often shies away from her food. Also, has also has been sleeping a lot during the day. 
Thanks so much for your help.
Category: Common Conditions

Answer:

The change in appetite is most likely due to the presence of the shell, if she does not quickly return to normal then you should have some imaging of her abdomen.  That could be in the form of xrays, endoscope or ultrasound.   The twitching during sleeping is not likely related.  Please let me know of any other questions.